Rangpur Division became Bangladesh’s 7th division on January 25, 2010. Before that, it had been the northern 8 districts of the Rajshahi Division. The Rangpur division consists of 8 districts: Rangpur,Dinajpur, Kurigram, Gaibandha, Nilphamari, Panchagarh, Thakurgaon, and Lalmonirhat. There are 58 Upazillas or subdistricts under these eight districts. Rangpur is the northernmost division of Bangladesh and has a population of 15,665,000 at the 2011 Census.
Rangpur is one of the major cities in Bangladesh and Rangpur Division. Rangpur was declared a district headquarters on 16 December 1769, and established as a municipality in 1869, making it one of the oldest municipalities in Bangladesh.The municipal office building was erected in 1892 under the precedence Raja Janaki Ballav, Sen. Chairman of the municipality. During the period of 1890, “Shyama sundari khal” was excavated for improvement of the town. The Municipality is located in the north western part of Bangladesh. A Recently established public university of Bangladesh named “Begum Rokeya University, Rangpur” is situated in the southern part of the city. Previously, Rangpur was the headquarters of Greater Rangpur district. Later the Greater Rangpur district was broken down into the Rangpur, Kurigram, Nilphamari, Lalmonirhat and Gaibandha districts. In the great Rangpur region, little economic development took place until the 90s, mainly because of the yearly flooding the region used to see before the making of the Teesta Barrage. Coal is found near this district. There is a large military cantonment in the town.[button link=”https://albatrosstoursbd.com/find-destination/” color=”gray”]Back to Destinations[/button]
Main Tourist Attractions
Kantanagar Temple is an eighteenth century brick temple, situated in the peaceful island hamlet of Kantanagar (Kantanagar), about 12 miles north of Dinajpur town, and about a mile west of Dinajpur-Tetulia highway across the Dhepa river.It has gained eminence as an outstanding monument in Bengal for its fabulous terracotta embellishment. This nava-ratna or ‘nine spired’ Hindu temple, now stripped off its original nine spires atop its corners during the devastating earthquake of 1897, exhibits the exuberance of terracotta art at its best in Bangladesh.
Tajhat Zamindar Palace
Tajhat Palace is a historic palace of Bangladesh, located at Tajhat, Rangpur.
This 20th Century palace was constructed by the local Jamindar, and was used as residence till 1950s, when government acquisitioned the estate. In the 1980s, Bangladesh Government used it as the local sit for the high court division of the Supreme Court. Later in the 1990s, shifting the high court. This palace now has been turned into a museum and looking after by archaeological authority . With a wide green belt around the building, it makes a good pastime for the tourists.
Dimla Kali Temple
Dimla Kali temple, is one of the tourist attraction in Rangpur city. Local king, Janoki Vallov Sen built this three traced octagonal shape Kali Temple in 1908 in the village, Dimla of Mahiganj union in Rangpur city. Usage of the Greek deities on this Hindus temple, made it a unique one. Staco,tiles and steel are used in the construction of the temple. This temple still in use,
RDRS (Rangpur and Dinajpur Rural Service) Bangladesh,an NGO in northwest Bangladesh, has a large office and guesthouse/convention center in the town of Rangpur.RDRS employs over 3,300 staff (around one-quarter are women) and works with a further approximately 3,500 volunteers. All staff are Bangladeshi. The vast majority of staff (93%) are in field positions, with specialist sectoral and support units in Rangpur and Dhaka.[button link=”https://albatrosstoursbd.com/find-destination/” color=”gray”]Back to Destinations[/button]
Ramsagar man-made water tank located at the village of Tejpur about 8 km south of Dinajpur town. It is considered to be the biggest man-made tank of Bangladesh. It can be approached from the town by a metalled road, which was once known as the ‘Murshidabad Sarak’. The tank was named after Raja Ram Nath who excavated it on the eve of the battle of palashi. At that time Alivardi Khan was the nawab of Bengal. The tank was excavated to supply drinking water to the people living in the surrounding villages. The water area of Ramsagar measures 1079m along north-south and 192.6m along east-west. Approximate depth of the tank is 9.5m.
Dinajpur Rajbari now in ruins, is situated on the north-east outskirts of the present town. Originally enclosed within defensive moats and high rampart, the derelict remains of the Dinajpur Rajbari, can now be approached through a tall arched gate facing west. Inside the palace precinct near the gateway on left is a painted Krsna temple and on right, some ruined outhouses and another inner gateway that provides access to an inner square court. Facing the courtyard on the east is a flat-roofed temple, the front verandah of which is supported on four semi-Corinthian pillars and another set of columns carry the roof of the main hall.
Pitiable wreckage of the palace is now a collection of abandoned brick- buildings in an advanced stage of disintegration. The palace remains consist mainly of three groups of Mahals (blocks), known as Aina Mahal, Rani Mahal and Thakurbadi Mahal, besides other accessory buildings, erected by various Rajas and Zamindars at different times (dynasty initiated in 1608 and continued till 1949). A number of temples, rest houses, charitable dispensaries, tanks and sundry residential quarters of employees and retainers were also built within the palace area. All these building occupy an area of 16.41 acres of land including two large tanks on the east and south, the moat, garden, a defunct zoo, a tennis court, Katchary and the Kumar House. The main mahals and the enclosing moats seem to have been constructed by Maharaja Prannath and his adopted son Ramnath in the 18th century. It was built in the strange mixture of European, Muslim and Hindu styles and did not depict a very good taste. Two parallel moats called Ramdanga, which surrounded the palace on all sides, were probably dug by Ramnath after the invasion of his palace by sayed ahmed khan, the Faujdar of Rangpur under alivardi khan.[button link=”https://albatrosstoursbd.com/find-destination/” color=”gray”]Back to Destinations[/button]