Rajshahi Division

Rajshahi

RajshahiRajshahi Division with an area of 34513 sq km, is bounded by west bengal of India on the north, khulna and dhaka divisions on the south, Assam and Meghalaya state of India and Dhaka division on the east and West Bengal of India on the west. Main rivers are Padma (ganges), brahmaputra, jamuna, ghaghat, karatoya, atrai, punarbhaba, mahananda, tista and dharla. Parts of naogaon, rajshahi, bogra, joypurhat, gaibandha, rangpur and dinajpur are composed of barind tracts. chalan beel, largest in Bangladesh, is located in this division. Rajshahi (Town) stands on the bank of the river Padma. The area of the Rajshahi town is 96.69 sq km. It consists of four thanas, 39 wards and 169 mahalla. The town has a population of 646716; male 52.42%, female 47.58%. Density of population is 6689 per sq km (Population Census 2001, Preliminary Report). Rajshahi was flourished in the seventeenth century. The tomb of Hazrat Shah Makhdum (established in 1634) is located at Dargahpara of the town.

Rajshahi Famous for Mango and Silk RajshahiMany European traders were attracted to this town because of its being a centre of silk production and largest quantities and best qualities Mango production, which is located by the side of the river Padma; subsequently the Dutch, the French and the English east india company established business houses in the town in phases. Because of flourishing silk industry, Rajshahi is also called the City of Silk.

Main Tourist attractions

Puthia

Puthia  consists of a cluster of notable old Hindu templesPuthia  consists of a cluster of notable old Hindu temples in Puthia Upazila, Rajshahi Division, Bangladesh. Located 23 km to the east of  Rajshahi city, it has the largest number of historic temples in Bangladesh. The temples were built by Hindu Zamindars Rajas of the Puthia Raj family who were noted philanthropists of Rajshahi. The temples have been built in terracotta in a variety of styles combining the typical Jor-bangla architecture with other influences. The Rajbari or Palace of the Raja of Puthia and the Dol Mancha is part of the complex. The temples are laid out around a lake with a sprawling lawn.

Gaud

Gaud is one of the largest medieval citesGaud is one of the largest medieval cites in the Indian subcontinent, was the capital of Bengal from 1450 AD to 1565 AD. Located on the eastern strip of land between the Ganges and the Mahananda rivers, has few structures standing inside the border of present day Bangladesh. Choto Shona Mosque, Darashbari Mosque & Madrassa, and Khania Dighi Mosque are some of the remains.

Verendre Research Museum

Varendra Museum was the first museum to be established in erstwhile East Bengal in 1910. Varendra Museum was the first museum to be established in erstwhile East Bengal in 1910. The museum started out as the collection for Varendra Investigation Society and got its current name in 1919. Since inception this museum has actively searched and researched history of the ancient Varendra Civilization. Excavation at Somapura Bihara was started by the society along with Calcutta University in 1923. In 1964, the museum became a part of Rajshahi University. The museum has a very rich collection of ancient stuffs from different parts of Bangladesh.

Mahasthangarh

Mahasthan, the present name of the ancient city known as "Pundurunagar(Pundranagar)"Mahasthan, the present name of the ancient city known as “Pundurunagar(Pundranagar)”, is situated in Shibganj, Bogra. Mahasthangarh is so far the oldest and largest archaeological site of Bangladesh. The site consists of the ruins of the ancient city of Pundranagara. The city was identified in 1879; the first regular excavation was conducted at the site in 1928-29 by the Archaeological Survey of India under the guidance of KN Diksit. Currently the Bangladeshi and French archaeologists have been carrying out excavation every winter since 1993.

Paharpur

the Paharpur Buddhist Vihara, has been one of the vital links between India and Southeast Asia The Paharpur Buddhist Vihara, has been one of the vital links between India and Southeast AsiaDue to its geographical situation the entire region of Bengal, including the Paharpur Buddhist Vihara, has been one of the vital links between India and Southeast Asia since ancient times, situated in a village in the Badalgachhi Upazila of Naogaon district with the flourishing of trade and cultural exchange Buddhism entered from India in the 5th century and its religious influence gradually increased.

This region witnessed the ascendance of the Pala Dynasty in the 8th century, whose rule continued until the 12th century. The first King Gopala of the Pala Dynasty established a unified power in the Bengal region. Then the most prominent political power in India at that time was achieved under the rule of the succeeding second King Dharmapala. Later, in the period of the third King Devapala, the region experienced the peak of its prosperity.

Buddhism attained its last major developments in India at that time under these Pala Dynasty Kings, who embraced and protected the Buddhist ideals. The successive kings established many Buddhist temples. The Vikrashiya temple in the Bihar State of northern India and the Paharpur Buddhist Vihara were built under the second King Dharmapala. It is said that when Buddhism was the prevailing religion in the area, practicing Buddhist monks gathered in their endeavours for enlightenment, but Buddhism itself was gradually being forced out by the increasing influence of the Hinduism and it started to show signs of decline.[/tab

Evidence of the rise of Mahayana Buddhism in Bengal from the 7th century onwards, this monastery, known as Somapura Mahavira, the Great Monastery, was a renowned intellectual centre until the 17th century. Its layout perfectly adapted to its religious function, this monastery-city represents a unique artistic achievement which influenced Buddhist architecture as far away as Cambodia, with its simple and harmonious lines and its many carved decorations.

Bagha Mosque

The Bagha Mosque is located at BaghaThe Bagha Mosque is located at Bagha, 25 miles southeast of Rajshahi. It was established in 1523 by Nashrat Shah, an independent Sultan of Bengal. The mosque is depicted on the 50 Taka Note of Bangladesh. The mosque was built of brick by a large tank and is surrounded by a brick wall. The mosque is known for its beautiful terracotta ornamentation. The shrine of Auliah Hazrat Danishmand (R:) and his disciples is within the Bagha Mosque complex.Back to Destinations